Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Sooo...here we have the 5th week. I am a little down on myself for last week - nutrition, food, etc. went well, but not the exercising. I caved into all my old excuses (reasons?) for not going and doing what I needed most. I am glad we are all doing this together. I am grateful for the support. This is such a wonderful opportunity to change my life style and eradicate my feeble excuses for not staying active and eating what is healthy. I grew up in a family where we were praised for cleaning our plates and taking second helpings. One of my mother's traditions is having candy dishes all over the house and the cookie jar was always stocked. Last Saturday I went to up to SLC to watch my 94 yr.old father while my mother went to get a perm and go grocery shopping. Sure enough, the candy dishes were loaded with various choices of chocolate. I naturally, wanting the be the good daughter, had a piece of each followed by 2 diet pepsis. WOW what a good lunch that was!!! I did so no to the pastries that my mom brought home. She called me a party pooper but I held my ground. Score one. I don't want to continue being a slave to my habits. The ladies at work are really supportive of me doing this and are watching me are carefully. Here's to everyone having a wonderful 5th week. See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Isn't is amazing how traits we acquired while growing-up still linger with us? My grandparents always had (still do) candy jars, cookie jars, and bottles of nuts available in almost every room of their home. So I understand exactly what you stated and when they're that accessible, it's so easy to keep nibbling. Good for you though to spend quality time with your parents...that's more important in the long-run anyway. Maybe next time you're there for a visit, you can have a baggie of almonds and another of sliced veggies to curtail the urge to splurge on glorious chocolate. Just a thought. :)

Michelle said...

Wow - candy and cookie jars. I know I would have taken a few.
I am proud of you for saying no to the pastries. To say no to a parent who is used to you taking the goodies is hard. Look at that part and remind yourself how great you did!